Saturday, March 16, 2013

Elise's Battle Within


Hi everyone!  My name is Elise and here is my story...

My Junior Year in high school I began starting to diet, and I actually ended up struggling with an eating disorder. Throughout my senior year I got down to 116 lbs, which for me, is not a healthy weight.  Throughout my first year of college I struggled with depression and some weight gain, but never  more than 20 to 25 lbs.  I could not figure out for the life of me how to not either starve myself or eat everything in sight.  I maintained a somewhat healthy weight until I got pregnant.  At this point, I gave myself permission to give up completely!  My foods of choice were Del Taco bean burritos, fries and basically anything that contained fat, sugar and/or salt!  I completely stopped working out and ate anything and everything I wanted and even more than I wanted.  


I would eat to punish myself for eating! It was so embarrassing to see people I knew.  I felt so uncomfortable in my own skin. 

I will never forget going shopping after and nothing fit!  I shed many tears and felt heavy and so exhausted all the time!  Not long after I had my baby I took my before picture, and that was my rock bottom!  I highly recommend taking a before picture.  I know it feels almost unbearable to think of seeing it and facing the facts, but nothing has ever motivated me more!

I will never forget my first run after all the weight gain.  I almost fell on my face, I could barely move!  I went from being an athlete to a biggest loser contestant!  I sat on the treadmill after my run (more like a walk) and broke down.   

Why the heck did I do this to myself?  What was I thinking?  I have 70 lbs to lose!  But the pity party ended soon and all out determination kicked in!!!

Nothing was going to stop me from getting out of this mess!  I began exercising like my life depended on it and cut out white flour and junk food and fueled my body with fruits, vegetables, proteins and whole grains.  I always gave myself a free day or a meal here and there, but I just kept on a chugg'n and began feeling so much more energized, even though I still had a lot of weight to lose.

Just starting, committing and knowing that I wouldn't give up, no matter what, helped me feel lighter, faster and stronger!

This time I did it the right way by eating healthy.  I never went hungry.  Whenever I was hungry, I ate.  I just ate healthy things, drank a lot of water and kicked my butt at the gym!  You can do it too! 
My sisters and I have proven that it can be done without fad diets!
  
All it takes is consistency, commitment and realizing how strong and awesome you really are!  Do it!  I promise you CAN, the only one stopping you is YOU!! 

Don't be afraid of it!  Don't think you aren't strong enough!  Motivation comes after action!  Just start and you will feel the benefits.  Your life will change in so many ways!   

It is so much more than just getting a nice body (although that helps).  It helps you realize how amazing you are!

It builds an inner strength.  I can't even tell you how many times, during a hard day of being a mom and feeling overwhelmed by life, I have felt like throwing in the towel and giving up, but in the back of mind I hear, "You did that workout this morning, you are strong!  You can do hard things!"  Working out gives you so much power.  It is my drug of choice.  It will change your life! 

I have tears rolling down my face as I write my story, because I have felt the pain of feeling terrible about myself.  I've felt like I was in a big hole and I would never get out.  I have gotten out and you can too!  

I have such a strong desire to help people change their lives!

I want you to find the greatest confidence, health and body of your life.  Do this challenge!  Join our blog!  We will share our workout and eating tips.  We can do this together!  Get your friends involved!  Do the challenges together or whatever works for you.  Do some bets.  My mom, sisters and I would always do bets.  We try to do 30 days straight with no junk or white flour and then we get a free weekend.  The loser would have to do or give something to the others.  Do whatever works for you.  When I'm not feeling motivated I will do Monday through Friday and then take the weekend off and have a treat.

Keep yourself comfortable in the eating.  Don't eat too little or you won't stick with it.  On the other hand, keep yourself very uncomfortable during the workouts!  :)  You can do it!  You are so much stronger than you think!  Don't give up and pretty soon you won't be able to live without it!  If this blog can change even one person's life, it will be worth it!  Let's get started!  You owe this to yourself.  So strip down and take a before picture.  Weigh yourself, let it sink in, you can cry a little if you need to, but then suck it up and go for it!  I have been from eating disorder, to yo-yo weight, to super fat and finally to a fit mind and body!  I have overcome and you can too!!!  

No more tears, just sweat, healthy food and happiness!!! 

5 comments:

  1. Hi Elise, we graduated high school together and I saw this through Sarah's link on facebook. I love your blog, you guys look great! My husband and I want to get into better shape. We are trying to work out more and eat better. I was just curious as to what the average day looked like for you as far as diet and exercise? You said you didn't go hungry..did you do calorie restrictions or just the white flour and junk? Thanks for the help and for the motivation! kjean85@hotmail.com-Kari Harker

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kari! I work out 4- 5 times a week. I do 45-60 min. Of cardio and then 30-45min weights. You should follow our blog we will be posting all of our workouts and eating tricks. I did not count my calories I just are when I was hungry but, I avoid white flour and sugar. (Junk food) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Consistency is the key. I'm excited to start working out harder and eating better. I want to prove to myself that I can get toned, lose weight and be healthy. Can't wait to start on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys are awesome and look so amazing! Really proud of you guys and think this blog is so motivating as we can all relate to your stories! Hugs, Mel

    ReplyDelete